Two types of delight are out there.
One is passive (Type-A) whereas the other is active (Type-B). Type-A comes from outside whereas Type-B comes from within.
Type-A is something that happens to you whereas Type-B is a state created by your active choices.
Some Type-A kind of delights:
- I feel like on top of the world because the wine tastes so great.
- The long drive was wonderful because the car was from BMW.
- These days, I like spending time with my cell phone because it changed everything, again. It’s an iPhone.
Sure, examples above provide experiences of feel-good state but melting by nature. It’s caused by something external (right side of ‘because’) that you may or may not have. Even if you have that at the moment, no guarantee is that it’ll last longer.
Instead, choose your delights. You can’t control outside factors but sure can control what happens within.
Here is Type-B kind of delights:
- I feel like on top of the world because I choose to feel like on top of the world!
- The long drive was wonderful I made it feel wonderful!
- I like spending time with my cell phone because I choose to enjoy what I do with my cell phone!
Roman philosopher Seneca observed it so right:
“Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.”
Delight is a result of extraordinary self-leadership that comes out from a conscious effort; not something that happens to you.
So, be a better leader…make a better choice…choose your delights!