What is entrepreneurship all about?
Here are thirty thoughts on what it is and what it is not.
For some people, entrepreneurship is “cool” but in fact, it is easier felt than done!
- Glamorous, in the beginning;
- Hard (in fact, very hard), soon after;
- Needs a groundbreaker (pioneer, go-getter, fireball kind of) mindset;
- Not for you if you:
- …get disturbed by things you cannot control in your job;
- …need very clear objectives from your management to perform;
- …need very co-operative people to get things done;
- …always need someone to listen to your complaints. Ah…you complain??
- …are reasonable, well at least 90 percent;
- …think one has to lose in order for the other to win;
- …think that honesty was the best policy in 20th century, maybe. This is 21st – isn’t it?
- …think you need a perfect plan to get started (does perfection exist? Where?);
- Sure for you if you:
- …don’t depend on your MBA degree to take decisions;
- …lead beyond your title to get things done, always;
- …want to take the pain of making the road;
- …know that someone else is going to travel that road later, but anyways;
- …don’t complain. About the dust. About bad people. About crazy clients. about anyone;
- …take responsibility for the problems created by other people;
- …have persistent determination; a completely different level of commitment;
- …listen to criticism about what you do; look at the things from multiple perspectives but still move ahead;
- …think you’re smart – you always learn from everyone’s (mostly others’) mistakes; not necessarily your own;
- …understand multiple contexts well; better if you apply lessons learned in one into the other;
- …believe in creating win-win business prepositions (Haven’t read 7 Habits from Stephen Covey? Huh?);
- …are a (the best) people magnet – someone said ‘like attracts like’ …isn’t it? Are you?
- …are unreasonable;
- …begin with the end in mind (Covey, again) but having (smart) goals is must;
- …understand what ‘empathy’ means. It means: how people feel about things. It leads from hiring right person to producing great products to selling not so great products what you wanted to. Not so easy but simple.
- …enjoy reading (and acting upon, most important!) what Jobs or Seth or Bate have to say.
- …start something, right now!