When it comes to giving punishment to the others, please consider the following:
- Punishment may (or may not) give a temporary solution;
- Punisher (e.g. the boss) has to be constantly present;
- Punishment does not teach what is appropriate;
- Punishment produces increased fear in the mind of the receiver;
- Punishment demotivates the receiver and makes him less effective.
- Punishment produces negative emotional side-effects;
- Punishment encourages rigid and inflexible behavior patterns;
- Punishment can result in counter-aggression or counter-control;
- Punishment has a cascading bad-effect;
- Punishment doesn’t help the business (or personal relationship or anything)!
While sometimes, punishing the other may be appropriate, using punishment as a preferred tool is not always helpful.